Detail
1959

ROTAX BECOMES
A FAMILY BUSINESS AGAIN

Transfer to the Wiener Lohnerwerke

ROTAX IS RE-PRIVATIZED

The State Treaty Implementation Act of 1955 regulates the handover of the former “German asset” to the Republic of Austria. Nationalization is out of the question, even in 1955. Rotax’ recovery and successful collaboration with Wiener Lohnerwerke is therefore timely.  The purchase agreement of August 6, 1959 provides for the acquisition of 72 percent of Rotax-Werk AG and on August 11, public administration by the Republic is rescinded, with the able assistance of Dr. Theodor A. Ebster. Sale of the remaining 28 percent completes the re-privatization of Rotax’ operations. The former publicly held shares go to the workforce and private shareholders. Each of the 360 employees is entitled to three shares at a value of 1,000 Shillings. This means that around 20 percent of voting rights are allocated to Rotax employees. The Board of Directors and management are also reorganized and are made up of members of the owner family, Lohner. Helmut Rothe is appointed Managing Director in Gunskirchen. At the beginning of the 1960s, Rotax is back in private hands after 15 years of public administration.

Rotax-Werk Aktiengesellschaft public share certificate, 1959 (Unternehmensarchiv BRP-Rotax, Gunskirchen)

Get involved and never miss a milestone!

Experience the most important events of Rotax' last century afresh. Keep a look-out for special milestones. And unlock other highlights of our success story by commenting, liking and sharing!

Share
Share
Close