The war eventually reaches even Schweinfurt. Allied air attacks put severe pressure on German infrastructure, especially heavy industry manufacturing munitions, ball bearings and engines. It is decided that certain branches should be relocated, as far as possible under the Allies’ radar. It is convenient for Fichtel & Sachs, therefore, that they own the Rotax brand, which is primarily known for producing bicycle components. The location selected for Rotax-Werk AG in 1943 is Wels, where the premises of Reformwerke, Bauer & Co, which has fallen out of favor with the National Socialist regime, are once more used for production of components. Equipped with share capital of 360,000 Reichsmarks, premises and an above-average size of labor force, the company begins producing stationery engines.
Seemingly autonomous from the outside, it remains, however, internally dependent on its parent company. Even if Rotax-Werk AG is given special status. Engine production is of such importance to the economy that Fichtel & Sachs outsources the 75-160 cc sector to Wels. At the same time the company is playing an increasingly important role in war planning, so much so that twice-daily reports are provided to the Rüstungskommando (armaments command). However, the special status of the Rotax plants is also reflected in its workforce. 700 staff work at the plants, including POWs and foreign civilian workers.