Founded back in 1821 by Heinrich Lohner, the Vienna enterprise must prove its adaptability decade after decade during an era of technical progress. Having been the first business to build complete horse-drawn carriages under one roof, it soon changes tack and focuses on the construction of chassis for commercial and military vehicles instead, especially during the war years, 1939-1945. While Ludwig Lohner had turned the business into the leading manufacturer of horse-drawn carriages, his sons Max and Richard look toward a mechanized future. Once again, the business adapts to new circumstances – during the reconstruction years, it gains a new foothold by manufacturing streetcars. In the private sector, too, Lohnerwerke gains ground – the first mopeds hit the streets. Powered by Rotax engines, a strong partnership develops, which ultimately culminates in the takeover of the Wels engine producer.