Rotax reaches an important milestone in its history when the millionth engine since 1945 comes off the production line in 1971. After the collapse of both technological and economic development at the end of the war in 1945, it takes even Rotax years to emancipate itself. Decisive advances are made starting in 1970. The arrival of Dr. Heinz Lippitsch in the company brings all the right elements together: Commitment, dynamic development, the right perspective and a feel for the international market. The company focuses on in-house high performance engines. Development is strategic and orderly, with almost four percent of sales being used annually to maintain a state-of-the-art R&D department.
Its first accomplishments include the air cooled rotary valve single cylinder with displacement of 125 and 175 cc, which initially gains popularity with offroad racers but is later also favored by road racers.